Friday, April 21, 2017

Well, it all makes sense, sort of.....

Over the last several dozen months I have tried and tried to "restart" my road to fitness.  All of those restarts have crashed and burned, and man I was on the verge of giving up.
Then it happened.  SEVERE, debilitating neck pain.  I made an appointment with a  doctor I knew was good with these type of things.  During our first appointment he did some type of injections directly into the nerves in my neck and gave me a prescription for some pain killers in the some term.  After a couple of days the pain started to calm a bit (like down to 7/10 instead of 10/10).  During the next appointment I was able to give him a better history of the pain and where it radiated to.  He told me to get an MRI.  Luckily I was able to get the MRI that Saturday and was able to see my doctor within a couple of days.  Well, it turns out I have a "Protruding Cervical Disc with Cervical Cord Impingement".  While my doctor was careful to explain the difference between that and a "herniated disc" I still am confused between the two.
It also appears this is not a new, or acute, injury.  This seems to have been something that happened a while back and went un-diagnosed.
It appears that I am 50/50 for neck surgery at this point, but I really hope to avoid that with the use of some therapy in the doctor's office and DDPYOGA at home, when he clears me for it.
So, while I am certainly very, very concerned about the my neck.  I am very relieved to know that there was a reason I wasn't able to train through the pain.  A lesson that everyone needs to learn.  As DDP says in the video's "Pain is Pain".  And another saying that my doctor is having to remind me.  "No pain does not mean no problem".  I will continue to go see my doctor weekly for the foreseeable future, and will only do what he clears me to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment